Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Breakfast for a Ballerina

You've probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  For someone like me who has ballet class at eight in the morning three days a week a good breakfast is even more valuable.
As a ballet dancer I have to watch what I eat.  I don't mean that like I'm watching my weight.  I'm talking about getting the right nutrients and staying away from foods that are hazardous to my health.  It's necessary for everyone to eat well, but I have to be even more careful because what will hopefully be my future job depends on it.  It's part of the criteria.
So back to breakfast.  I know a few people who can't stomach it.  I look forward to it.  I enjoy going downstairs before most of the world has woken up, making some warm tea to take the nip out of the cold morning air, and deciding what to make.  I almost always have some kind of egg.  I've figured out these give me the most energy and strength in the morning.
 On the days I have to rush out of the house to be at the studio by eight I don't have enough time to make my much loved green tea and I usually settle for a hard boiled egg.  They're good, just not my favorite way to eat an egg.  I also have either some kind of fruit on the side, like cantaloupe or honey dew, or a piece whole grain toast with butter.
This week is spring break, meaning this is the first week in a long time that I can afford to take a slow start every morning. I have appreciated it to the fullest.
This morning I had a tortilla wrapped around scrambled eggs and salsa.  It's one of my favorite ways to have eggs.  Sometimes I just scramble some eggs, heat up a piece of raisin toast to spread delicious apple butter over it, and cut up some fruit.  Yesterday I cooked an egg in the hole I formed in my toast.  This is the hardest way for me to make an egg, but I'm getting the hang of it.  Sometimes the yolk breaks, which keeps it from running over the plate and allowing a tasty dip for your toast.  Or it can be cooked to long which creates the same problem. When I get it just right I enjoy this treat and feel proud of my improving cooking skills.
I'm a ballerina that loves to eat.  Breakfast is one of my favorite times of the day.  It always sets me up well, giving me the energy I need, and relaxing me on the days I can sit down to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment